MAP General Ledger
Intro to MAP GL View responsibility.
The General Ledger is the central repository of accounting information in MAP. In the GL View module, users can view budgets, balances, and money coming in or going out. Transactions are recorded in other MAP modules (such as procurement) and are sent electronically to the General Ledger. Because this responsibility is view-only, there is no quiz required for access. Just submit the MAP Access request form and select the WVU GL View responsibility.
After completing this General Ledger section, you will be able to:
- list the types of data found in the MAP GL module
- explain how budgets are set up for WVU departments
- identify each part of the GL accounting string
- explain what parent-level account numbers are used for
- identify what information can be located on GL Funds and Account Inquiry screens
- identify MAP GL reports to locate budgets, balances, and detailed transactions
Click each lesson below to explore the MAP General Ledger and how to find information in WVU GL View.
- Funds Inquiry - see budgets, encumbrances, actual expenditures, and funds available
- Account Inquiry - Drill down to specific expenditures on a range of accounting periods
- Reports - see a comparison between reports to view the same information in different ways
The diagram below demonstrates how the many modules internal to MAP interact with each other and with external agencies such as the State, Research Corp, and various banks to carry out business transactions requested by WVU employees.
Use the navigational links at the bottom of each page to move to the next lesson, or back to this General Ledger intro page.